Monday, December 3, 2007

The Day After........

Well it is Monday but somehow still feels like Sunday..... which felt like a Monday anyways. LOL
The big tournament has come and gone and pretty much left me discouraged and somewhat depressed.

Play started out normal.... meaning bad. Players that have no clue about the game they are playing but get super lucky. But then just give all the chips back to someone else or spread them around the table. I really didn't take any bad beats. I can't remember a single bad beat all day. Most hands that I was in (which wasn't many) I won unless they were my blind. Early hand of JJ raised, called in 4 places... flop with a K and turn with an A. Easy lay down as I was in ep and put no additional money in the pot. I played for just over 10 hours. Didn't seem that long except for a 2-3 hour period in the middle where I went extremely card dead. And I don't mean the dead like QJo was my best hand and I didn't want to play it... more like Q2o was looking very good! Unfortunately this was just before my table broke and the blinds had finally started to get fairly high. Started the day with 114 players. I started out about 13th or 14th in chip stacks based on our point accumulation through the year. (see previous posts for how they were awarded). Only got my money in bad once when I raised AKs and a ss called but couldn't even cover the raise and I hit my A.

We started with 11 tables... a few with 11 players, most 10. I was at table 5 and when my table broke I moved to table 1. So I knew I wouldn't be moving again till I was out. (they break tables in order ending with 1) Top 15 were paid. 15-11 each getting $100. I went out 13th. My mind is still somewhat fried by the play that I observed. Most bad play didn't occur against me.... strangely enough. It was almost always something I observed. I can't even begin to remember all of the bad plays. Only one that sticks in my mind partly because it made a huge difference to me and where I finished ( or may have finished). Blinds were at 5k and 10k. I am two behind the button with a total of 16 or 17 players remaining. Super short stack moves ai with only 4300. I have QJ and it was looking good as I had started to go card dead again and two face cards were huge. But it gets folded around to the sb who has over 100k in chips. Grumpy old man who had made many bad plays earlier and still got lucky and knocked out a few players. Anyways, he proceeds to raise the bb out of the hand. Makes it 30K total to go. BB folds... looks at the guy incredulously as if he is stupid with their being an all inner. From comes 7 high and bb would have flopped a pair and oesd. SB raised 108o. Yes that is correct, 10 8 off suit. He hits nothing and the all inner wins with A high.

Now if the all inner had been knocked out here, we either would have been in the money or bubble... not sure but later it would have made a difference to me on another hand. A side note is that I would have won with the J on the turn but knew the old man would play any two and I didn't have enough chips left to move anyone.... maybe 34k. The later hand that would have made the difference was my sb with 33. Only had a total of 26k and the blinds were now 10k/20k. The previous all inner ss was still in the game and there was an all in at the other table of a short stack. There was a raise in front of me and I considered calling but there was already another call. I knew that if both myself and the ss at the other table busted I would have been in the money if we both went out because I had more chips than he did. Hell I would even have delayed my hand a little to see if he got knocked out. But we were still at 17! :( Long story short... the all inner at the other table got knocked out and I would have hit a set of 3s on the river to win the hand. But we were still at 16 at this point. The extra chips would have at least gotten me to the final table of 11. Last time I went to the final table ss I ended up getting 5th. I am much better working a full table with a short stack than I am a short handed game. Now I know many good players would say the old man did the right thing... and you are correct. When you are a big stack you want to keep the super ss in play in the bubble because that gives you an edge over the medium stacks (such as myself... even though I was actually ss also but not the bottom 3 at the time). But this old man had no clue about that type of strategy... he was just playing his monster cards.... 108o.

Sunday was all a blur as I was still in a haze from Saturday's tourney... which I am still in today, just not as bad. Sunday was actually a good day online. Either Friday or Sat night I played in a $2 sat to the $100k on Sunday on PS. Qualified. On Sunday I looked at the tourney lobby and the prize pool was up to $160k +. I actually decided I wasn't thinking clearly enough to play that long to try to get anywhere so I unregistered from the tourney and got my $10+1 tourney dollars put in my account. About an hour later I decided to give a $10 - 9 man tourney a try. A little out of my comfort zone for buy in but figured it was like free money since I satellited into it. One of the first 5 hands I get 55 in mp. I limp. Flop comes 875. 5 players in the hand still. Checked to me and I check. LP player bets like double the bb. Warning signs should have been going off in my head but they weren't. LOL Told you I was in a funk. SB calls, bb folds I reraise pot. LP smooth calls. SB folds. Ace on turn and I bet out pot and he pushes. I call. He has 88. No quads for me but luckily I had him covered by 130!! LOL Now at this point everyone is still in the game..... not one knock out yet! Sucks to be me at this point. I don't remember how but between patience and lots of luck I end up working my way back and then knocking out a few. I end up heads up. Guy has me out chipped pretty good but we go back and forth a bit. Fairly even in chips now when I get K8o in bb and he min raises. So I call. K37, rainbow. I check, he bets I reraise pot, he raises min and I shove. He thinks for a very short period and calls. He will have 390 left with the blinds at least 200/400 at this point if he doesn't win the hand. He turns over 93s and I am thinking yes I have him. Till the 3 hits the turn and I am out. Was a little upset but no biggie as I turned $2.20 into $27.00 and I also had entered into a $4/180man tourney on PS so I turned my attention to that and got over the beat quickly. I ran pretty good in the 180 and finished 4th. Could have done better but I tilted from a beat on FullTilt in the HORSE freeroll. LOL I gotta stop playing multiple game types at the same time. Some donkey (not that much unlike myself) capped the betting on the come in and on 4th in the Razz portion. I had a pretty decent starter (2A,46) so I was pushing back at him. I hit the Q on 5th and backed off as he kept pushing like he had a 7 low. I make my low on 6th with an 8 but didn't want to push things. The idiot had K6, 73, then K! Then A on 6th and 7th was a 2!!!!!!!He was still raising on 5th which is when I just called his raise. So that tilted me when I saw his hand and I didn't pay particular attention to the $4/180 when we were 4 handed. Had a pp and went all in after flop because of tilt and the other player was super aggressive and thought he might be pushing with A high...... not to be the case as he flopped top pair.

Oh well... still a decent day on PS.

But not enough to get me completely out of my funk.

No comments: