Tuesday, November 6, 2007

High Stakes Poker (HSP) $500,000 buy in......

So did anyone watch it last night?
So many people are talking about Doyle's lay down when he had the best hand. They are shocked that he did that.
I think they are failing to take in all the play that has transpired between Doyle and Gold on HSP. I feel Doyle has a very good read on Gold, especially when he is bluffing or weak. Previous hands have mostly shown that. Now many would then say: Why couldn't he make the correct read last night then? ........
The main reason is he made the right read! Gold played the hand the way he did because in his mind he had the best hand. He never once thought Doyle could have him beat. He played it like he had the nutz for the hand because in his mind he did. So there was no bluff there to pick up on. Doyle read Gold for having the best hand... because the hand played out that way.

I did something similar in the past..... but it cost me most of my chips in a tournament.
During a 30 man tournament at a friends home, I played a pair of 6s in late position. Got very lucky and flopped a set. On the flop (K,10,6 rainbow) EP player bets 3/4 of the pot. He didn't look back at his hand. Fairly solid player but one I knew couldn't get away from decent pair decent kicker. Next mp player, looks back at his hand... thinks for a little while and calls. Now I know this player fairly well also and put him on top pair but not so great kicker. I chose to raise here..... Seems strange but I get drawn out on all the time. I raise the pot about 2x the pot. Next lp player folds..... original better just calls, still not looking back at his cards. Next player looks at me and smiles and lays down his hand. He knows me too well. So the turn comes up and it is a 9 (if I remember correctly it was still rainbow). But I can tell the ep player likes that card.... he has picked up a draw. So he bets out like a third of the pot. I put him on the draw and a pair. So I figure I better move all in at this point. I reraise over $8000 more and I have him covered. Now he is stunned at this and sits there and stairs at me for awhile. I told him I have the best hand but he can try to draw. He sits and things a while longer. Then he decides to look back at his cards. He jumps when he looks and goes "Oh I call". He had QJ. River was a 2. He thought he had KQ and that is why he took so long. So I actually made the right read on the player based on what he thought he had!!! Just too damn bad he wasn't smart enough to remember his cards correctly!

Doyle laid down because his read on Gold was that Gold had the best hand because that is what Gold thought. Doyle had a good read on him....... Gold just didn't know he was losing and drawing dead if Doyle called.

No comments: