Thursday, April 17, 2008

Poker is poker...........right?

For once I am not going to mention how I have done in poker lately.... this time I need to say something about a comment I saw in another player's blog that has been kinda bugging me. I almost commented in that blog but I think the player and others would take me wrong.

The comment was " Can anyone really do anything THAT wrong in a $10 tournament? I mean, it is a $10 tournament right?"

I find fault with that sentiment in that I feel like it is trying to say the buy in dictates what correct poker is. I have always felt correct poker is not dependent on the buy in but on the particular play needed at that time. The correct play depends on the other player(s), previous actions, cards, stacks, stage of tournament,.... etc. But shouldn't hinge upon the cost of the buy in, not if you are playing poker for the sake of playing poker. At the point where you will play differently because the buy in is insignificant to you it is almost like you are saying I am just gambling (like roulette) versus my normal poker play. Yes I know poker is a form of gambling but most are drawn to it because of the additional amount of control it allows the player over another form of gambling such as roulette where you are at the ball's total mercy.

A statement like the original comment make it seem like a play that is ok in a $10 (which seems to be implying that $10 is meaningless to particular players) wouldn't be acceptable in a $10,000 buy in tournament. If that is the case then plays that would be criticized in a $10,000 should also take into consideration what the player of said play's net worth is..... perhaps he feels "how can I do anything THAT wrong, this is only a $10,000 and I have over $10,000,000 in the bank."

Perhaps I am just being nitty or picking or whatever. It is almost like when a person makes the original comment they are saying that they play differently because the money doesn't matter to them. (Almost a condescension on those whom the $10 would matter to.)

From this point of view correct poker depends on your net worth, not your skill.

No comments: